Thursday, July 19, 2012

Living Up to her Name. Review of Jamie Grace's first studio album "One Song At A Time"

Living up to her name.
Jamie Grace—a new Christian
artist young and ready to take on the world with her guitar, her fresh dance
beats, alto voice and the Lord by her side.
Jamie Grace is living up to her name as she comes out with her debut
studio album One Song At A Time which
is filled with upbeat positive songs about loving God and enjoying life. Jamie is different than what I’ve heard so
far but it makes sense that TobyMac was the one to discover her. The former DC Talk member has his own different
“changing up the music” unique style and unlike Justin Bieber, Jamie was
discovered through her YouTube page and will actually mean something to the
world.
With my new job at His Word: A
Parable Christian Book Store I get to be around a lot of music I’m not use
to. This is nice because I’ve been
looking for new Christian music that still has a pop feel to it. She was up there in the top 20 selling artist
and she was like number four or five on the list. Curious I picked up the CD and saw she did a
song with TobyMac, who is one of my favorite artists because of his different
style of music. So I scanned it and
started playing the song “Hold Me” feat TobyMac and instantly realized I had
heard the song before, on KLove. Which
is surprising, for those of you who are also Christian and listen to KLove, you
know they hardly ever play anything different, but they like Toby so it makes
sense they take an interest into his new project. KLove plays a lot, and I do mean A LOT of
praise and worship music that’s slower and chill. Honestly, if I didn’t want to die this young,
I could fall asleep while driving in my car with KLove playing, which is why,
honestly, I only turn it on when I’m really bored and I’m tired of listening to
what I do own. Just to try to see if there
is something new on…with KLove; generally, not really. Not to bash on this great radio station, but
Praise and Worship isn’t all that there is out there. There motto is “Positive, encouraging music,
KLove.” It can be a little more upbeat
musically wise as well.
Sorry, long explanation short,
Jamie is fantastic. I have her music
playing right now and its 2:31 AM and I should be in bed, but the little one
isn’t allowing that, and neither is my wife’s negligence in washing our bed
sheets from the babies throw up before I went to work. Anyway, Jamie shows the magnitude of God’s
grace throughout all her songs as she sings about being in love with God and
Him always being on her mind. She strums
that guitar as the beats play behind her that give a carefree look to the world
with messages that says, “You’re making the sun shine today, yeah, I may be
going through something, but you’re right there keeping me moving on and I
thank you for that.”
Her song with TobyMac just has a
few vocals in the back as Toby sings over and over “I love, I love, I love, I
love the way you hold me.” She talks
about at the end of a long day just relaxing and focusing on God and thanking
him for what He’s done for you is like being held in his arms and He has arms
big enough for everyone. Jamie uses her
music to cleverly help you focus on the good even when the storm is going on
with songs such as “Show Jesus” which is one of my favorites which is a song in
which Jamie talks about someone who is so positive and living for God that he
just walks in the room and he can show Jesus and radiate positivity—an example
for how we should be.
The album opens up with “Ready
to Fly” which is a simple folk-like song as if being played on a record, that
to me, since it is a prelude to the whole album, is Jamie saying, “I’m ready
for the Lord to take me to new heights” and her first album is definitely the
start in my opinion. As you listen you
can’t help but smile and want to sing along as you dance. Then like any good
album the music does wind down all the way until she finishes with “Not Alone”
a simple song played on the piano and shows the depth of Jamie as she simply
tells everyone no matter what we’re going through, His arms are big enough and
we’re never alone. A ballad that sends
chills down your spine and helps you realize you aren’t because those chills is
that Spirit reaching out. She lives up
to her last name which is grace and she shows her love for the copious amounts
He has shed on her by using her talents to give Him the glory.
I’m excited to see where this is
going to go next and I hope it comes soon, but until then, “Show Jesus” and
“Not Alone” will be bumping on my iPod.
Check out the video for “Hold Me” below and see how she just lays back
driving around with TobyMac as they sing to the Lord. Until next time, According to Michael III,
Jamie Grace One Song At A Time is
fantastic, one song at a time.
—Michael III

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISgr8SgCYbY
“Hold Me” Jamie Grace feat. TobyMac Video

No comments:

Post a Comment