Saturday, March 31, 2012

"Its so powerful it sells itself in other peoples commercials!"

So because of a change of plans I'm not able to go ahead and give you the "Grimm" recap just yet. Also because I'm doing this from my phone it will probably have a lot of issues and titles won't be italicize. Oh well, I got to make do with what I have, and what I have is what could possibly be the funniest Old Spice commercial ever.

Right now Old Spice is running its 2012 campaign "Smell is Power" featuring the hilarious Terry Crews as the recent Old Spice man. Crews brings hilarious comedy that is of itself compared to recent the recent Old Spice man, "The man you could smell like," Isaiah Mustafa. Both men have gained ultimate success for their roles thanks to their fantastic acting and the great writers behind the jokes they tell. But this new Old Spice commercial had me laughing so hard I started crying. This commercial was an absolute genius as it takes on a new perspective that I don't believe has been done yet. Selling itself against another product. Now commercials like that have been done with the Mac and PC commercials but not like this. This new commercial actually made me believe it was a totally different commercial before Terry Crews comes busting through the house on a jet ski.
Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvYP_d2S1Pg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Please tell me that made you bust up laughing even if you have already seen that commercial!? To me it's just perfect, If anything they are definitely showing the "power" Old Spice apparently has. Crews body adds to the effect since this man is so muscular he can move his chest at his command, and the sound effects and the Bounce lady's reaction is just priceless. The whole point of commercials is to get you to pay attention and be hooked to the point you go out and buy their product. It's supposed to make you say, "Eh, why not?" With each new Old Spice commercial they make me want to go buy a can just to support them so they can keep making commercials like that. Other commercials that play the funny very well are of course the Mayhem commercials by All State played by Dean Winters and E Trade's "Insufferable Brat" with comedian Peter Holmes as the voice. Commercials like these just show with perfect timing and great writing, and men who look like they did their fair share of steroids back in the day, you can make commercials that can become iconic and make people laugh for years to come. As it is they constantly play older Mayhem commercials on TV, same with E Trade and they have been using the same baby for a few years now. Only a matter of time before Old Spice starts replaying some favorites as well. But until I can finally get to "Grimm" or repost something else, According to Michael III, the Old Spice commercials are so "powerful" they made me write about them!
--Michael III

P.S.
Here are some of my favorite Mayhem and Insufferable Brat commercials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0GsNhLt9Ds&feature=youtube_gdata_player "You know I wanted a bird."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqVBKO_QM3o&feature=youtube_gdata_player "Oh wow, you didn't win? I wanna show you something, it's my shocked face...oooowwaaaa!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZXM_g3mqew&feature=youtube_gdata_player "TURN RIGHT NOW! (Car crash and information). Recalculating!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJK1yYXhg_A&feature=youtube_gdata_player "I'm all, 'OMG, Becky's not even hot!'"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osPQhrnzNYk&feature=youtube_gdata_player "You're good. (Car crash, woman screams and Mayhem laughs in slow motion)."

This is why in my opinion you should always look over your shoulder! Anyways enjoy!
--Michael III

No comments:

Post a Comment