Saturday, April 28, 2012

Overzealous much?

So I don't know if you heard or not but the producer and writer tag team duo that worked on Transformers, Star Trek, Cowboys and Aliens, and Fringe (Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci) are in the mix to re-write the script for The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Here's what's wrong about this: Amazing Spider-Man, set for a July release, hasn't even come out yet and people are still a little sketchy about a reboot so fast after the Toby McGuire days. So what’s the news, they not already have a script for a second movie written by co-writer to AMS, James Vanderbilt, but they are bringing in a couple of big names to re-write it (screenrant.com)

Anyone else think they're being a little overzealous? Because in my opinion the one thing I learned in my freshman year of high school in my film and arts class, you only make sequels if the one before it rolled in the dough and for The Amazing Spider-Man all they've done so far is dish out the dough. They're not even sure if they're going to get all their money back, yet they are already working on a 2. As a writer I know that you always have plans to do sequels but for the movie biz, you don't work on it until you know it's going to make money. Think of the film adaptations that could of had sequels but didn't because they didn't make the money—The Last Airbender and Eragon being two examples; actually The Last Airbender…the jury is still out on that one getting a sequel.

I'm planning on seeing the new web slinger but I'm still shaky on the reboot and with a film company that already threw away a lot of confidence they should probably wait before jumping on the next train. I mean Screenrant.com even says that Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are already signed on to come back to reprise their roles and if it was any other super hero movie I would say more power to them but when you have a lot of pissed fans about the drop of Kirster Dunst and Toby McGuire, who in my opinion still is and will always be THE perfect Peter and Spider-Man, they shouldn't just rush all in.

Yes they'll make money but just how much is the question. I don't know, I guess we'll wait and see what they do with the "untold story of Peter Parker." As it is Universal is actually already talking to MIB3 screenwriter David Koepp to write the script for a sequel to Snow White and the Huntsman (Geektyrant.com)—another great looking moving I'm planning on seeing but seriously apparently everyone in Hollywood looks to a sequel before the first one even comes out. Normally that should only work for books so we’ll see if we’re in the midst of the current times changing. Well until next time, According to Michael III, overzealous much?

Michael III

No comments:

Post a Comment