Saturday, May 5, 2012

Disney gets a little Tim Burton...

And that's just a title by the way I don't think Tim Burton will actually take up this project. But he could. This title is strictly based on the fact that this is something Tim Burton would do. Even Geektyrant.com says so, "This would make for a great project for Tim Burton to take on, but he's got a pretty busy schedule."

Anyway, what I'm talking about is the fact that I will now be reading this book this summer because it must be good if the company that basically rules the world is making a movie off of it. What I’m talking about is Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. Weird title right? But if anything, if we're in the age of the heroes we're also in the age of the weird with people Tim Burton, Niki Minaj, Lady Gaga, The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, and etc. so why shouldn't Disney hop on board the weird train, they already own Marvel.

The description of the book, according to Geektyrant.com, is like this:

Nobody Owens, known to his friends as Bod, is a normal boy. He would be completely normal if he didn't live in a sprawling graveyard, being raised and educated by ghosts, with a solitary guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living nor of the dead. There are dangers and adventures in the graveyard for a boy-an ancient Indigo Man beneath the hill, a gateway to a desert leading to an abandoned city of ghouls, the strange and terrible menace of the Sleer. But if Bod leaves the graveyard, then he will come under attack from the man Jack—who has already killed Bod's family. . . .

Sounds pretty good right? Wikipedia.com says that, “Gaiman had the idea for the story in 1985, after seeing his then two year old son Mike ‘pedaling his BMX around a graveyard” their family lived across from, in the English town of East Grinstead, West Sussex. Recalling how at home his son looked there, Gaiman thought he “’could write something a lot like The Jungle Book and set it in a graveyard.” It does sound an awful like something Burton would take on. But it seems like there could be more to this story. As it is, it reminds me of D.J. MacHale's The Morpheus Road Trilogy which just had the final book come out, The Blood so I'm going to read that but afterwards I want to tackle The Graveyard Book. Gaiman is the guy that wrote Coraline for those of you that don’t know him, and that was a great book. I haven't seen the movie because book adaptations normally suck, but that was a fantastic book so I really want to see how he composed The Graveyard Book. It's Gaiman's first "children's" book since Coraline and like that one it's being made for the big screen. It's also the first book to win the Carnegie and Newbery award and the author of the article I found about this novel likes the book himself.
"I'm actually reading this book right now with my kids, and so far, it's really good. It will definitely make for a solid movie, and Disney seems like the right place for it to be” (Geektyrant.com). So that means maybe I wrong about the whole Disney attacking the weird, from the description it sounds like a weird book but I haven't read it for myself so I have too. And I will, but then again, Disney is remaking Frakenweenie and Burton is all on board to redirect his old movie in stop-motion this time so maybe he will do The Graveyard Book.

This isn't the only book getting a movie deal, Tigers Curse the latest tweener supernatural love story by Colleen Houck landed screenwriter Julie Plec, executive producer, and co-creator of the Vampire Diaries TV series; she also writes a lot of the episodes. It'll be interesting to see who Disney gets to write and direct The Graveyard Book and hopefully I'll have read the book by the time they announce who is taking over. Until the next exciting entertainment post, According to Michael III, I'm excited to read this book! Thank goodness school ends for me next week.

Michael III

No comments:

Post a Comment