Wednesday, May 2, 2012

"Let it Shine!" A Disney Channel Original Movie. Disney takes on the lack of Positive Hip-Hop and I love it!

This summer “The Truth is [definitely] in the music!”

So if I haven’t said it already I’m sorry guys, but the truth is, I’m a big kid. The other truth is besides writing, music is my next passion since I was singing since I was little kid and playing the drums since I was seven. But growing up in a constricted household has left me a little kid at heart which is probably why I’ll make a great father when my baby girl is born this summer. But I have been a fan of Disney’s musicals from The Cheetah Girls down to Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam, which, if you know your Disney, in the middle of that was the High School Musicals as well; heck those movies prompted me to get into theater my senior year of high school.

One thing that has upset me is Hip-Hop music because a lot of it is nothing but sex, drugs, and money and while some rappers flow really well and have tight beats the messages is sickening. Which is why, if you knew me for real, you know how big of a Will Smith fan I am because one: Will was all I could listen to in my household that was rap, and two: because I respect the fact he chose not to do “gangsta” hip-hop and no matter what anyone says he is the best rapper ever. No one can ever top the fact he was the first ever Rap Grammy and he did it without cursing or talking about what the other rappers were talking about. He paved the way for those who have come around and stained what he paved. So imagine my surprise when I’m watching a recorded episode of Phineas and Ferb last week and I see not only a preview for a new musical on Disney Channel but one focused on positive Hip-Hop. Let me tell you, I was about to drool.

Disney will be premiering Let it Shine on June 15, 2012 staring Tyler James William, Chris from Everybody Hates Chris. For those of you that watched that show you know how great of a young actor he is, but the film will also star Trevor Jackson, who I can’t find any information on, Coco Jones who I found out about through Disney’s Next Big Thing (NBT) and who is also a very talented young singer and only 14, and Brandon Mychal Smith who is the talented comedian from Disney’s So Random! and is slowly establishing himself as a singer and rapper as well. You know how Disney likes their triple threats, but the difference is, for the first time since the Cheetah Girls and Camp Rock with Demi Lovato and The Jonas Brothers, Disney is making a musical where people can truly sing. I may have liked HSM but they were all made into singers except Lucas Grabeel who doesn’t sing but can sure sang when he wants too.

So far this movie has not only piqued my interest but has given me hopes that maybe we can get more positive hip-hop out there, as it is Jaden Smith seems like he wants to follow in his father’s footsteps and Will is actually recording another album himself. B.o.B can be a lot more positive if he stops focusing on doing songs such as “Strange Clouds” and starts focusing more on songs like “Magic” and “Play the Guitar” feat. Andre Benjamin 3000. And you can bet I will be supporting this movie 100 percent.

Wikipedia has the plot line—“The story unfolds in Atlanta, Georgia, as Cyrus DeBarge and his best friend Kris McDuffy reunite with their childhood friend, teenage singing sensation Roxanne "Roxie" Andrews, whose music label is sponsoring a songwriting contest at a teen club. Cyrus, who writes music under the name ‘Truth,’ crafts a heartfelt and contest-winning rhyme about Roxie but to his dismay, his work is mistakenly attributed to Kris. Lacking the confidence to step forward, Cyrus stands by while Kris not only takes credit for the lyrics but ultimately begins to win Roxanne's heart too. Now, it's up to the true poet to overcome self-doubt, seize the opportunity to reveal his authentic self and pursue his dreams. All the while, Cyrus must convince his preacher father that hip-hop music can have a positive message.” I like this because of the fact I grew up in a Christian household myself, one of the reason why Smith was the only Hip-hop I could listen too. It seems like this story will appeal to everyone who has their reasons for why Hip-Hop is bad because like the narrator says in the trailer for the movie, “Cyrus was all about the music.” And when it comes down to it, for a musician that respects some aspect of all type of music, all it comes down to is if you’re doing it for the music, and not for the money and fame. Until next time, According to Michael III, thank you Disney Channel!

Here’s the link to the trailer on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts4NvZUaxEk&feature=relmfu

Michael III

No comments:

Post a Comment